Welcome to My Fishing Ventures, an informative and up to date informations on fishing tackle, fishing tips and reports of my latest fishing experiences in both freshwater and saltwater! I hope that you find these infos helpful and I look forward to your comments.

Yellowtail Fishing: La Jolla Kelp

Got out on Sunday morning  for some calico fishing at La Jolla kelp beds. Launched at about 5:30 am with a my fishing bro, overcast and glassy to start. Started throwing some plastic swimbaits and managed a few calicos. When the marine layer burned off, sun came up, the wind kicked in and so did the bite. 

We went out in hope of catching a few calicos, but did not expect all of the yellowtail we would see. Every cast of the swimbait there would be 2 or 3 yellowtails following it. They are not be very big, may be in the 5lb class which are the best eating anyways. My bro was using a slug while I was using a swimbait. We both managed to land 1 yellowtail each, my bro hooked what looked to be may 10-12 lb but when I was about to gaff it, it made a mad dash to the bottom, got caught on the kelp and broke off. 

If only we had know there were going to be this many yellowtails around, we would have brought some live baits. Anyways, had a lot of fun and hope to get back out again next weekend. Just hope the water stays warm like it is now, at high 70s.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have fished out of San Diego twice, getting into yellowtail, bonita, and mackerel. I can't wait to get back down there. I found some awesome charters on www.huntfishguide.com this site was so much easier to use than the other directories.