Welcome to My Fishing Ventures, an informative and up to date informations on fishing tackle, fishing tips and reports of my latest fishing experiences in both freshwater and saltwater! I hope that you find these infos helpful and I look forward to your comments.

Dorados and Bonitos

Short report on my fishing ventures from the Labor Day weekend. Had a late start on Saturday, didn't launch until 8:00. Left the dock at 8:15, got bait and off to open water at about 8:45.

Headed out 20+ mile northwest of Pt. Loma and started the day trolling. Had 4 trolling rods out when we ran in to school of bonitos, all rods were hooked up. Took quite a bit of coordination and luck but got them all in and released. 

Kept trolling while also keeping eye floating kelps and diving birds. A couple of hours in to it, we saw a single bird sitting on a small floating kelp. We stop short of it and my buddy started throwing surface iron without any takers. So I decided to toss out a flylined sardine and got bit right away. I thought it was a yellowtail at first till it jumped out of the water and saw those beautiful colors, it was a Dorado. We started chumming live sardines right away and were able keep them there for awhile. We managed to pick off 5 dorados and and lost 2 in that little kelp paddy.

It's been windy and rough waters all day, so after the dorado bite shot off, we decided to call off the day. On our way back, we were lucky enough run into diving bird just outside the jetty. It was wide open bite on nice size calicos and small baracudas. They were biting on irons, plastics and the rest of the live sardines. It was definitely a fun day! PS...caught my PB (personal best) biggest dorado on this trip.


No comments: