Welcome to My Fishing Ventures, an informative and up to date informations on fishing tackle, fishing tips and reports of my latest fishing experiences in both freshwater and saltwater! I hope that you find these infos helpful and I look forward to your comments.

Lake Dixon 3/22/10

Dropped my nephew off to Wild Animal Park to meet his grandparents, while I headed down to fish Lake Dixon. Got there around 10:00 am, the lake wasn't as crowded as I thought it was going to be. The lake is usually very crowded during springtime with fisherman looking for those big spawning bass, but it is still pretty early in the spawning season for Lake Dixon. Lake Dixon is usually the last lake in southern California for spawn.

Anyways, I went cruising around in the shoreline for spawning bass. I saw some early spawners but definitely not a full blown spawning season yet for the reason being that the water is still cold. I did see a couple of big females cruising around on the north side of the lake.

As I walked down the shoreline, I found and worked a bed with a female and a male bass on it. I could not get the female to bite, but the male was very aggresive. The small male bass had taken my lure about 4 times without me setting the hook hoping that the female does not get spook. By the 5th time, I finally got frustrated with the male and set my hook on him and released him a few yards down the shoreline. So I walk back to try and work on the female bass only to find that the male bass was back, that's when I decided to walk away and do some blind casting with the spinnerbait instead.

Ended the day with a couple of small bass caught on spinnerbait and senko worms. Fun day, it was warm and little breezy at the lake. Hope to come back in about a month for the full-blown spawning season.

No comments: